What could be better then having a slice of chocolate cake and a cup of tea, enjoy with couple of friends who come to visit on a rainy day? I baked pear chocolate cake for us to enjoy, and was so moist, full of chocolate flavor, and delicious that my friend was having three slices. I was so pleased!
Note: I slightly under baked the cake to make it moist, if you like your cake a bit drier, you can adjust the time of cooking. The cake taste a even better the next day. I didn't poach the pears, so the pears were a bit too crunchy which, my husband prefer. If you like, you can poach ( recipe here) them before adding it to the batter.
4 oz unsalted butter (leave at room temperature until soft)
½ cup sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
4 oz dark chocolate (melted-cooled slightly)
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup almond meal (finely ground almond), or hazelnut meal, or combination of both
4 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, or Dutch process cocoa powder
1¼ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3 to 4 Bosc pears
OR, any kind of fruit that is in season
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F.
- Butter a 10 inches cake pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and butter the paper as well. Coat the cake pan lightly with flour, tap off the excess flour. Set aside.
- Sift flour, almond meal, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Peal the pear, cut into half, and core.
- Beat butter and sugar on a medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, one at a time. Beating well after each addition. Add the melted chocolate, beat on a low speed (speed #2), add the sifted flour mixture, beat for 1 minutes. Turn off the machine.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan. Arrange the slice pear in circular. Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool before serving.
We had quite a big stormy weather last night, lightening followed by loud thunder, heavy wind and heavy rain. The thunder was so loud, that my dog was really scared. She was crying through out, that made us awake, and unable to went back to sleep. This morning, I went to my garden, the ground is full of water, my pool is overflow, everything is wet, and it is pretty chilly. But, I love it very much. I've been waiting for weather like this. I want rain so bad, I just wish that I can harvest it. Unfortunately I don't have any barrel to collect it (my wish list), what a shame! I was please that everything is all right. Other then a few paddle of water everywhere, which doesn't really bother me at all. I took couple of photo for this post. Hope you like it..