A simple delightful, and light cake from Turkey. I know my two sisters will like this, especially my brother in law.
The Food and Cooking From TURKEY
by: Ghillie Başan
½ cups (115 g) sugar
115 g self-raising flour (I used regular all-purpose flour)
14 oz thick and creamy natural yogurt ( I used non fat Greek yogurt, and it was 16 oz)
grated rind of 1 lemon (I used orange)
juice of 1 lemon (I used orange)
For the syrup:
1 cup (225 g) sugar
½ cup (120 ml) water
Juice of 1 orange
grated rind of 1 orange
I added 1 tablespoon Orange blossom water to this recipe
- First make the syrup: Heat sugar and water in a heavy pan over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add orange juice and grated orange - stir. Bring it back to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, add the orange blossom water if using - stir. Continue to simmer for 15 minutes or until it becomes syrupy. Turn off the heat, and let the syrup cool at room temperature.
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Grease a 9 inches cake pan - set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour, mix on low just to combine. Mix in the yogurt, lemon rind, and lemon juice. Mix well, but not over beat.
- Transfer the mixture onto prepared cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes until the top is completely darken (deep golden color). Cool on a wire rack.
- Transfer the cake onto serving plate, pour the syrup over the cake. Serve with kaymak (cloted cream) if you wish, I didn't.