I use this recipe whenever I have to make a birthday or any celebration cake.
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup corn starch
Preheat oven to 350F
- Buttered and line a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper
- Stir together flour and corn starch 3 times and return it to the sifter
- Half fill a medium sauce pan with water and bring to boil. Lower the heat so the water is simmering
- Whisk the eggs, yolks, salt and sugar in the bowl of heavy duty mixer. Place the bowl over a simmering water and whisk gently until the mixture is lukewarm about 100-110F.
- Remove the bowl from the water and attach the bowl to the mixer, whip on medium high speed until the eggs mixture is thick and triple in volume
- In 3 addition, sift the flour mixture over the beaten eggs. Fold gently with rubber spatula until completely incorporated
- Transfer to cake pan and bake for 25 - 35 minute or until well risen and a toothpick that is inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean
- Loosen the cake with small knife and invert to a wire rack, remove the parchment paper and let the cake cool completely.
For Chocolate Genoise :
Reduce the flour to 1/3 cup, increase cornstarch to 1/3 cup, and add 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder.